Friday, March 9, 2012

Isaac Braswell, rest in peace

 Isaac Braswell at the USAT North, February 18, 2012
(Maret Thorpe)

Our teammate and friend Isaac Braswell died last Friday.  Cherish your friends.

Update 3/10/12: Isaac's aunt is in town making arrangements.  We are trying to contact her via Lawson YMCA.  Lawson itself is planning a memorial, probably on Tuesday.  That's all I know at the moment: would appreciate info from those who know more.

Update 3/10 p.m (unconfirmed as of now, per a kind anon in comments).: the Lawson YMCA memorial service for Isaac will be held this Tuesday March 13th at 30 W.Chicago Avenue at 11:00 a.m.

More later....

6 comments:

Ch1cag0Rob said...

A very tough loss. Isaac spent a couple hours with me several weeks ago talking about the extreme difficulty of his childhood, the tough things he went through, his trouble finding love and kindness in the world, and how chess had helped him survive this long. I had an idea things were this bad, but...there was just no way to help him this much this quickly.

RIP, troubled friend. Very sad indeed.

Anonymous said...

I just played chess with Issac at the team tournament. What a great guy and a great friend. I didnt see him often but he always made me laugh and always challenged me over the board

Jon Burgess

Maret Thorpe said...

Isaac could light up the room, just by walking into it. He always showed us his positive side, and he always took great joy in his game and his friends. I only wish he had just a little more light for himself.

Anonymous said...

The memorial service for Isaac will be held this Tuesday March 13th at 30 W.Chicago Avenue at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has further info or comments about him, please pass them on.

Anonymous said...

The telephone number at Lawson House YMCA where Isaac lived is (312)944-6211.

y0lorenzo said...

The mood today at the North Avenue Starbucks chess meetup today was shocking and somber. He may have been suffering and now be in a better place. But I know I want to be selfish and see him again. I wish I could have talked to him again.