Sunday, March 25, 2012

More support for ICA's Chicago Public Schools proposal

Chess teaches children many of the critical thinking skills necessary to succeed in an information economy. So let's bring chess to Chicago's Title I schools. (Generally, at least 40% of students in Title I schools come from low-income families.) Schools that can afford to pay service providers will of course be able to continue their current relationships.

Personal reflection: when I was a teenager, my family lived in public housing in an Appalachian coal mining town. I wound up getting a scholarship to MIT. Would this have happened without chess? My decades-belated thanks to Mr. Reed, Mr. Dombrowski, Mr. Meyers, and many others in Shamokin, Pennsylvania: debts like this can only be paid forward.

No comments: