Sunday, December 30, 2012

A novelty!

Shockingly, I encountered an Internet opponent tonight who doesn't read Chicago Chess Blog! As such, he had failed to read my post from last night demonstrating that 3...f6 and 4...g5 is not an effective response to the King's Gambit. But I wasn't content with 7.Qf7+ and mate in two more moves (7...Kd6 8.Qd5+ Ke7 9.Qe5#) as in last night's partie, and uncorked the novelty (at least for me) 7.Qxg5+! I learned this trick from Wall-Greenwalt, Dayton 1983. If Black responds with 7...Kd6, he gets mated the same way - just without his g-pawn - by 8.Qd5+ Ke7 9.Qe5#. Or he can play 7...Ke8, and get mated by 8.Qh5+ Ke7 9.Qe5#, as Greenwalt did. But NN played a novelty himself with 7...Nf6, allowing me to mate a move faster with 8.Qe5#!

2 comments:

Bill Brock said...

Not quite an ideal mate (e6 is covered by both queen and bishop), but aesthetically pleasing.

Frederick Rhine said...

A bit reminiscent of the immortal game Schiller-Pack 1969: 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 (I once asked Bernard Parham what Black's worst move is here. He nominated 2...Qh4. Wrong!) Ke7 3.Qxe5# http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1371171