Monday, March 22, 2010

Congratulations to Penny Xu and Adele Padgett

Penny (who was only 12 years old as of February 2010) and Adele (15 years old as of 2/2010) tied for first in the Illinois Chess Association's Girls Invitational Championship this weekend. Each scored 3 wins, 1 loss, and 1 draw. Penny takes the title on tiebreaks.

In the following game, Penny and and her opponent Shayna Provine both display a very mature handling of the Sicilian.  (Chicagoans of a certain age know all about the dangers of the anti-Najdorf system 6.g3, as we all suffered at the hands of Leo Kaushansky.)  As I played through the game score on my iPhone, I found myself wondering who Penny's coach could be.

Then I saw Penny give Tamara Golovey a hug in the hotel lobby.  Aha!

P.S.  What cool shot did Penny miss on White's 24th move?  (I didn't notice it at first: she had to show it to me.)


No comments: