Friday, August 3, 2012

Photos from Ron Washington memorial


Many people shared many decades of memories of Ron.  Attendees included a couple National Masters, a member of the 1969 World Champion Boston Celtics, and others who loved Ron and who miss him.

The last two people who saw Ron alive spoke: he was going in "for a dip" with everything but shoes on ("I'll dry out in a minute").  The gentleman who was in the water with him turned around to head back to shore, and Ron was gone. He and others tried to save Ron, but it was too late.

Sorry I couldn't stay for food and blitz...but here are a few photos.

































Rest in peace, Ron.

6 comments:

Matthias Pfau said...

Thanks for sharing. I could not make it but wanted to. The pictures are a wonderful substitute.

Ch1cag0Rob said...

I'm with Matthias on this one: sorry to have missed it, and thank you so much for posting the pictures and the story.

Anonymous said...

I go back over 30 years when I met Ron Washington. There was a KFC restaurant on rush st. back in the 70s that I often ate but I could not help but notice a huge room above Walgreens that always stayed lit at night and I wondered what was going on in that place. One day around noon I had the courage to go upstairs. That is when I saw people playing chess and backgammon and that is when I got to meet Ron who was owner of the club. Even though I played chess I was not good at it, but was good at backgammon and Ron was my apponent in many tournaments. I remember meeting Ron on the street when he was driving cab and he gave me a free ride and we talked and talked about the good old days. I just want to say that Ron was a kind true friend and I will never ever forget him for as long as I live. Sometimes we really don't appreciate people until something happens to them and sometimes we never miss a friend until we lose one. Wondermike

chessdrummer said...

According to Harvell Floyd, (Ron’s daughter’s cousin), Ron’s funeral will be at

Wallace Broadview Funeral Home
2020 Roosevelt Road
Broadview, IL

Service is at 2pm, Friday August 10th

y0lorenzo said...

What a beautiful memorial you guys set up for one of our own! I am sad I missed it. Out of town visiting my elderly granddad. I was there in spirit and could feel the energy from down south. See you guys soon. Thanks for posting.

y0lorenzo said...

What a beautiful memorial you guys set up for one of our own! I am sad I missed it. Out of town visiting my elderly granddad. I was there in spirit and could feel the energy from down south. See you guys soon. Thanks for posting.